Flagellation (image lost), Mocking, Carrying of the Cross, Crucifixion
Adam Zumbach (1651–1693) and Franz Josef Müller (1658–1713)
Each panel c.35 x 27cm
The original glazing decorating the Baroque Our Lady of Sorrows Chapel (the Büeler Chapel) in Schwyz
Sold to the original location in Schwyz, Switzerland
These four stained-glass panels were part of the overarching decorative scheme for the space of the Büeler Chapel in Schwyz. They have their counterparts in four oil paintings that still hang in the chapel, which is why the lost fourth scene, which went missing in c.1880, can be identified as having been the Flagellation of Christ. The panels were removed in the late 1920s and put into storage by Anton Büeler-Smulders (1900–2001).
Our gallery holds also a portrait on glass of the young Anne Smulders , the wife of Anton Büeler.
Rückkehr in die Gnadenkapelle? , in: Weltkunst, 10/2008, pp. 28-29
PDF | 1,5 MB | 1 page