Georg Konrad Kellner
45 x 33.3cm
Signed and dated
A particularly beautiful example of nineteenth-century glass-painting
Private collection USA
This portrait of Albrecht Dürer (1471–1528) was executed after the bronze statue of the artist by Christian Daniel Rauch (1777–1857) and Jacob Daniel Burgschmiet (1796–1858) on Albrecht-Dürer-Platz in Nuremberg. The statue was created in 1828, to mark the 300th anniversary of Dürer’s death, and unveiled in 1840.
The arms hanging from the branches of the round-headed arch that frames the figure are those of the city of Nuremberg (lower left, the lesser arms), the Nuremberg painters’ guild (upper left), the empire in the time of Kaiser Maximilian (at the top), the city of Nuremberg (upper right, the greater arms), and Albrecht Dürer himself (lower right).