Joachim Klos was among the most innovative glass-painters of the post-war period. Born in Weida (in Thuringia), he studied in Weimar (1949–51) and subsequently at the Werkkunstschule (School of Applied Arts) in Krefeld (1952–56). He was active as a freelance artist in Mönchengladbach from 1957, and then in Nettetal-Schaag from 1968.
Klos saw the appeal of translating the techniques of graphic art, such as woodcutting, screen printing, and kinetics, into glass-painting, thereby developing a very unconventional, multi-facetted pictorial language that combines the figurative and the abstract with each other. In the 1980s, he taught in England, the USA, and Australia. Klos is mainly known for having been awarded joint first prize, with Georg Meistermann, for the glass-painting of the year 1958–59.
Glasmalerei der Moderne: Faszination Farbe im Gegenlicht, exhibition catalogue, Badisches Landesmuseum Karlsruhe, 9 July – 9 October 2011, catalogue entries by Dirk Tölke nos. 69 (p. 208, with earlier litereature) and 79 (pp. 220f.).